Sean Biography and News Information
- Born on August 25, 1930 at 176 Fountainbridge, Edinburgh. The baby weighed in at
10 1/2 lbs and was named Thomas, the eldest son of Joe and Effie Connery.
- After years with a milk round, Tommy joined the navy and here he had twin tattoos on his right forearm, Scotland
forever and Mum and Dad. However he was invalided out of the Navy aged 19 due to stomach ulcers.
- In 1953, he entered the Mr. Universe contest, With a height of 6'2" "Big Tam" finished third
in the tall man's division
- While on £12 a week for nights in theatre playing in South Pacific, Sean spent the daytimes educating
- After a football match playing for the South Pacific team against a local junior team. Sean was approched by
Matt Busby and offered a place at Old Trafford, which after consideration he declined.
- Sean's personnal motto is "Death before Dishonour"
- Sean’s unofficial film debut was as an extra in a crowd scene for the 1954 Errol Flynn
musical Lilacs in the spring (Let’s make up).
- Sean met his first wife Diane Cilento on the set of Anna Christie in 1957 whare Sean portrayed her lover. They
rehersed out of hours in their own time an developed a close freindship. When Diane developed tuberculosis in 1959
Sean was never very far away.
- Sean and Diane married in Gibralter December 1961, and Jason was born 6 weeks later on Jan 11th 1962
- Sean's favourite room in his House is his Bathroom and it's here he keep his Oscar, two BAFTA awards and countless
- Sean funded a film called Sean Connery’s Edinburgh in 1981, to promote tourism in Scotland
- Sean donated his entire advanced earnings from 'Diamonds are Forever' to the Scottish International Education
Trust, a charity designed by him for the underpriviledged founded in 1968.
- Sean met Micheline Roquebrune, a french woman, on a golf course in Morocco in 1970. It was love at first sight.
- Sean's father Joe died from cancer in 1972, while Sean was filming The Offence.
- Sean and Micheline wed in secret in 1975, in Gibralter, the press did not know for four months after.
- Sean was awarded “The Freedom of Edinburgh” in 1992.
- Sean has set up Fountainbridge films, named after the place he grew up in Edinburgh, Entrapment
was produced through this company.
- Sean appears on the George Martin "In My Life" Album on the title track "On
the original version John left a hole in the song for an instrumental section, and while he was away having dinner
I recorded a keyboard solo like a Bach two part invention. He loved it, and it has remained an integral part of
the song ever since. There are only a few voices in this world which are completely unmistakable. When you hear
the voice of Sean Connery you know who it is after one syllable. I wanted to finish with the poignant lyrics of
'In My Life', and I cannot think there is anybody else who can give them the meaning that Sean does. He is a hero
not just to me, but almost everyone I know." Geogre Martin
- One of the best salutes is from Steven Spielburgh "There are seven genuine movie
stars in the world today – and one of them is Sean Connery.....He will be remembered throughout recorded film history."
- Sean is a patron of the Edinburgh International Film Festival
- Sean Connery has accepted an invitation to become honorary president of the patrons of the new £5.3 million
Byre Theatre, St Andrews.
- Sean Connery's Horse Risk Of Thunder, ridden by Kenny Whelan who was replacing the injured Ruby Walsh, finished
second. in the Velka Pardubicka at Pardubice, in the Czech Republic on 11th Oct 99. Risk ofThunder is trained by
Enda Bolger, an Ireland-based trainer. The horse is unbeaten in four races over the Punchestown course
- Sean helped produce the play Art, written for the London
- Sean won the British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) Best Actor Award for "The Name of the
- In 1987 Sean won Best supporting Actor Oscar for The Untouchables. He also was the British
Film critics Best Actor for the same film and was nominated for the Best Supporting Actor at both the Golden Globes
and the BAFTA's.
- In 1994 Sean Recieved the Lifetime Achievement Award from the National Board of Review.
- He has honorary degrees from St Andrews University and Heriot-Watt University
- In January 1996, he was awarded the Cecil B DeMille Lifetime Achievement Award at the
Golden Globes, now we just wait for that big lifetime Oscar!!
- 1997 Won MTV Movie Award - Best On-Screen Duo for: The Rock (1996) Award shared with: Nicolas Cage
- 1997 Won Blockbuster Entertainment Award Favorite Supporting Actor - Action/Adventure for: The Rock
- Connery was honored in 1997 by the Film Society at Lincoln Center in New York, The Gala honoring Sean Connery
featured guest appearances by Harrison Ford, Tippi Hedren, Diana Ross, Blair Underwood, Sidney Lumet, and Ursula
Andress. Film clips that were shown ranged from the actor's early career to the James Bond series, from Hitchcock's
Marnie (with Tippi Hedren) to Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (with Harrison Ford), from The Untouchables to
The Man Who Would Be King, from Just Cause (directed by Sidney Lumet) to Robin and Marian, which immediately preceded
Mr. Connery's speech.
- In 1998 Sean was awarded the Lifetime achievements award from BAFTA
- VENICE, Italy, September 1998 - Sean Connery received a special award at this year's Venice Mostra film festival,
He was awarded a Golden Lion for his lifelong contribution to cinema.
- Sean Connery was honored with the Lifetime Achievement Award at ShoWest 1999. Los Angeles, Feb '99
- Sean Connery will be saluted for life-time achievement at this year`s Kennedy Center Honors. The22nd annual
awards will be presented Dec.4 '99 at a dinner at the State Department. The next day President Clinton and Hillary
Rodham Clinton will throw a White House reception for the recipients, followed by a gala performance at the Kennedy
Center for the Performing Arts, taped for television broadcast later in December.
- 1998: Tony award for Best Play, "Art" shared award; Sean was one of the producers
- Among the many international honors Connery has received for his work are the Legion d'Honneur and Commandeur
des Arts et des Lettres (the highest honors given in France)
- Finally after years of controversy, Sean recieved his knighthood in the New Year's honours of 2000
- Original 007 actor Sean Connery is nominated for favorite actor in an action movie for "Entrapment"
against Pierce Brosnan as the British secret agent in "The World Is Not Enough." Feb 2000
- In 1989 Sean was voted “The Sexiest Man Alive”
- In 1997, Connery was ranked #14 in Empire magazine’s “Top 100 Movie Stars of All Time” list
- Sean Connery has struck a blow for maturity by being named Britain's "sexiest actor" in a October
The 68-year-old star garnered nearly a third of the votes in a survey conducted to launch FilmFour, Channel 4's
new pay-per-view movie channel, finishing well ahead of Hugh Grant who came second with 13% of the vote.
- Movie heart-throb Sean Connery has come top of a poll in which women were asked who they would most like to
see across the breakfast table. Feb '99
- Sean Connery, at 19, makes the top 20 of the Hollywood Reporter's 150 most "bankable stars" poll,
in June 1999.
- Sean has been voted Sexiest Man of the Century, The Scotsman was the No. 1 choice in a survey conducted by
New Woman magazine and the Web site Women.com. Connery defeated Brad Pitt, Mel Gibson and Paul Newman, in September
- Sean has been voted in the top ten most recognised British People and will have a place in the Millenium Dome
in London. Sept '99
- Sean was voted 21st in the 100 Sun Hottest Hunks of 1999, in 1998 he came 89th.
- Sean Connery is the only Bond to be named in the Top 100 movies of the century by the British Film institute,
in Dr No and Goldfinger. Sept '99
Heart throb of the Century (Thanks Sue)
Return to Sean Homepage